Thursday, March 30, 2017

MIFGS 2017

It has been three years since my last visit to the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show.  Here are a few of the things that caught my eye today.

I loved these elephants. I'd probably even have room for them:
 Just probably not the bank balance.

I still don't understand this sort of thing:

Or this:

The over-the-top Indianness of this made me smile:
I've never seen a display by ISKCON here before.

There were a couple of things on this stand that I might have liked for the garden:
But they were a bit pricey. Those succulents are spiral aloe, Aloe polyphylla, and were $200 each. And one of the planters I liked, which is right on the left of the photo, was $400. Of course the only reason I didn't buy either of them is that they would have been too awkward to bring home on the train.

Of course the Show Gardens are inspirational
 and interesting
 But here's what it is really like trying to get a good view of them:

Lastly a few quirky entires in the hanging basket competitions.

A hobbit house under a bonsaied oak tree:

An Asian gentleman fishing under a bonsaied fig tree:

And a succulent helmet? hat? hairstyle? created by turning the hanging basket upside-down:
It was a great day out!

3 comments:

Jeann of Melton said...

Looks great. I always think of going but never do!

jacaranda said...

Hoping to get there but I think you have saved me the trip in.

Jeanette said...

Have to agree with your comment about the interior displays. The Show Gardens are full of ideas and love those elephants. Perhaps your handy sculpture guy can whip one up.