Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What's in Flower - September

This is the last of these monthly garden round-up posts from my old garden. By this time next month, it won't be mine any more.

Here's what is welcoming spring.

Jasmine (Jasminum officinale) flowers looking and smelling wonderful:

Ipheon stars, or spring stars (Ipheion uniflorum) in three different colours:
Light purple (this colour is nothing like their real shade).
Darker purple (not blue as it looks here).
White.

Violets (Viola odorata):

A puzzling freesia:
 Freesias have six petals, so what is going on with this one? If it isn't a freesia, where did it come from?

Fringe flower, Loropetalum chinense var rubrum, with its leaves looking much greener than they do most of the year:

Bethel sage (Salvia involucrata 'Bethelii':) is almost finished:

Arum lily (Zantedeschia aethiopica), not planted by me, but it appears between the other plants from time to time:

Verbena "Candy Cane" starting to flower again after a rest over winter:
That answers the question I asked back in January. I'd seen one Australian website describe this cultivar as an annual, and a UK one call it a "half-hardy perennial".  I think we can safely say that it is not an annual.

Masses of lavender:

Rosemary seems to never stop flowering:

Crassula ovata just about finished

Mexican sage (Salvia leucantha) also just about over:
 Shocking photo, sorry. It was blowing around but I thought I did have it in focus.

The very last of the Bergenia:

Vireya "Clare Crouch":

Blood plum:

I was obviously cheating when I included the buds of this thickleaf aeonium, Aeonium arboreum, last month, because they still haven't begun to open:

Another plum, not as tasty, but OK for jam:

Callistemon:

Dusky coral pea (Kennedia rubicunda):

Grevillea "John Evans":

Another callistemon with redder flowers. Only a couple of open ones, up very high. Lots of buds though!

And I know there are white jonquils and some flowers on my yellow gum, but somehow I missed them when taking the photos.

Happy spring from my old garden!

5 comments:

Marly said...

I hope you've found the time to take lots of cuttings.

jacaranda said...

Look forward to your new garden, perhaps freesias etc can be grown in pots.

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Your old garden looks wonderful. I wonder what the new garden will look like.

Sam said...

The flowers are wonderful - so sad to leave them behind if your moving?

Ozjane said...

So sad to say farewell to a garden. I left a lovely rose bed at the last house and it was out in a week. Why not at least allow them to flower.....we moved in July.
I have some of those star bulbs ....just gave them water and took some day photos when outside.