Wednesday, February 5, 2014

More sowing

Took a break from a hot walk home to sit in the shade by the lake for a while:
Was very happy to see quite a variety of birds, including a pair of swans with two cygnets. Over recent years the number of feral geese on this lake ballooned until they seemed to be the only birds there. Four geese were dumped at the lake about 10 or 12 years ago, and they bred until there were a couple of hundred or more. But the council seems to have taken action. I only saw about 6 geese today, and the swans are back. I couldn't get a photo of them as they were on the other side of the lake, but I will try again another day when it is not so hot.

When I got home, I sowed four more boxes of seeds:
Two are swamp gums (Eucalyptus ovata), and two have a mixture of swamp and manna gums (E. ovata and E. viminalis). I don't know what happened there; I guess someone got some seeds mixed up somewhere along the line. Anyway, the seeds looked like mainly manna gums to me; they were quite a bit lighter in colour than the pure swamp gum seeds. It will be interesting to see what comes up.

4 comments:

Terry said...

From sewing the georgeous quilt to sowing the seeds you have been busy.
I will enjoy watching your progress with the quilt and the seedlings.

Maria said...

That lake certainly sounds like a favourite haunt for the birds...whereabouts is it?

Cherry said...

Can't wait to see all these trees sprout up. I went back & looked at last year's batch. I noticed that your trees were much further along than other participants. Quilters seem to be born nurturers.

Birdydownunder said...

What an interesting thing to do.