Tuesday, February 18, 2014

First Acacia and a New Project

The first of the acacias is pushing its way out of the tube:
Acacia melanoxylon seedling
Acacias have relatively big seeds, and the seedlings lift quite a mound of soil as they push their way up. This one is a blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon). It should be out and have its leaves open by tomorrow.

Meanwhile I'm planning a small wall-hanging incorporating some words, and have been contemplating how to make the letters for a while. But over the weekend I came across Quiet Play's patterns for foundation paper-piecing. She has created both upper and lower case alphabets, in a cute "typewritery" font. It was a lot easier to pay for work she has already done than to try and create my own, especially as they were both on sale (I don't know how long the sale is for), and they look much better than what I had been imagining I would do myself.

Today I did a test letter on the treadle machine:
This is a good project to do on the treadle, as it is like one of those beginner exercises of sewing along lines on paper to develop skills controlling the machine, but you end up with something a bit more useful than a piece of paper with lines sewn across it. So here's my capital D, made with some scrap fabric. The background is from a shirt I made in 2012.
 I was very happy with how it came out, so I chose some fabric and started work on the letters I need. They'll appear in a post some time soon, I'm sure.

6 comments:

thornberry said...

Hi Vireya - I know that I don't comment very often but I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. Your patchwork and quilting progress always amazes me, and I especially enjoy your garden posts (especially because I don't have a green thumb at all).

Graeme said...

Jack says hello and he'd like to have a look round your sewing room sometime.

Cherry said...

The 'D' looks great - so clean & crisp. Sometimes it easier to NOT reinvent the wheel to get a project done. Yes - Jack needs to have a look around your sewing room and you need to photograph his big adventure.

Marly said...

Your first letter looks good. Good luck with the rest. And if Jack is the puppy, don't let him until he's learnt not to eat everything in sight.

jacaranda said...

Your D looks great, looking forward to seeing what your project for the letters is going to be. The seedlings are looking very healthy. How is Jack? Growing as fast as your seedlings?

Maria said...

The 'D' looks wonderful, Vireya!