Saturday, July 6, 2013

Scatterday - N

It's Scatterday again, and this week we have the letter

and our categories are:
* medical
* celebration
* ocean
* notion from the sewing room


Medical:
Neem toothpaste from India. The neem tree is native to the sub-continent, and traditionally people there chewed on neem twigs to clean their teeth. Many medical claims are made for neem, particularly on the internet, but I don't know if there is any scientific basis for any of them.

Celebration:
This is me on my ninth Christmas (or ninth Noël, to keep the Ns happening). My parents used to take a picture of us with our presents each year. That year all I wanted was a watch, and there it is! I still have it, too, although the mobile phone's time display has meant I haven't worn my watch for a few years. What is quite strange to me now is the resemblance between this picture and my son at a similar age.

Ocean:
This is not my photo; hover over it for attribution. Years ago I found one of these on a beach on the Bass Coast. From a distance I thought it was a sheep's horn. In fact it is the egg case of an argonaut octopus, and is commonly called a "paper nautilus".

Notion:
A few years back I had the notion that I would make something using the faux chenille technique. I purchased this (rather expensive) gadget which has remained in its packaging, and the faux chenille project has remained merely a notion.

As usual, you can check out everyone else's scatterday posts via Cinzia's blog here.

4 comments:

jacaranda said...

Love your N's Vireya. I found a paper nautilus as well, and the structure of them are intriguing. Love your photo, you haven't changed at all.

cinzia said...

Snap on the chenille cutter...mine was used once but I didn't just buy the basic cutter I also bought the extra cutters and they haven't been used....once was enough.
Love the egg case.

mitchez2013 said...

How the wheel turns....or stands still! I have a chenille cutter in pristine condition, too! I love your photo aged c.nine. Wonderful to have a memory and record like that. My mother would love your shift as she has a maltese cross. Would love to see a paper Nautilus.

Wendy said...

Ahh - the obligatory Christmas Photo with gifts - how I remember them.
Great post - Wendy.