Monday, July 16, 2012

Seedling Check-Up

In just under a month the TreeProject seedlings will be going to their real owner to be planted out. Most of them are looking ready to go:
Black wattle (Acacia mearnsii) with the usual wattle leaves in front, wirilda (Acacia retinoides) with more vertical leaves in the middle, and swamp gum (Eucalyptus ovata) with rounded leaves at the right rear. Behind all of them, manna gums (Eucalyptus viminalis).

Today I started pruning their roots for the last time. It was also an opportunity to have a close look at each plant. I found (and removed) two different varieties of aphids:
Sorry the photos aren't clearer, but these insects are absolutely minuscule. I would not have seen them at all if I hadn't been wearing my glasses.

1 comment:

kaiteM said...

Your tiny forest looks lovely. Lucky you wearing your glasses to catch these opportunistic feeders. Tree fleas!