Tuesday, December 1, 2015


Happy summer!

Today I started painting the shelving units for the walk-in robe and my sewing room:
I got undercoat on a few of the upright sections,
but getting the whole job done is going to take me quite a while.

Monday, November 30, 2015


Spent a few hours today (and a big chunk of my monthly NBN data allowance) upgrading my computer to Windows 10:
That photo was taken an hour and a half into the process. Fortunately the 1% is a little misleading. It was only another 60 - 90 minutes before I could actually use the machine. Now I have the fun of figuring out how to do things all over again!

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Mystery Step One

Bonnie Hunter released the first clue of this year's mystery last night just before bed-time. So of course I spent time thinking about the quilt when I should have been asleep.

This year as well as choosing my own colours (here's the post about that), using metric measurements, and only making a quarter of the pieces, I'm making another change; I'm making the individual units larger. Bonnie bases lots of her quilts on 3" pieces, which translates to 7.5cms. That's not a problem, but making pieces that finish half that size (which she often does) involves cutting in quarter centimetre increments, and that doesn't thrill me. So I've decided that where Bonnie uses 3 inches, I will use 8cms. It's not  big difference, but half of 8 is a lot easier to deal with than half of 7.5.

So on to the sewing!

I like to use the Magic 8 method to make my half-square triangle blocks, but I wanted to get lots of variation so I adapted the method. So that I would get two sets of four matching blocks from each "magic 8", instead of eight all the same, here's what I did:
This was my test piece to make sure it would work. I cut a square from the brown fabric (my constant), but rectangles half the size from two neutrals. Here's the result of that test:

That worked well, so I continued on the same way and made a few more:
They went together quickly. And I've made a note of what size I cut them in case I need to make more at the end.

When Bonnie activates the link-up on Monday, I'll add the link here so that you can check out everyone else's mystery bits!
Here's the first link-up.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Geelong Walk

Spent the day walking around Geelong, and took almost no photos.

First up was the Geelong Patchwork and Quilters' Guild exhibition, which I enjoyed but took no photos.

Then I went to the Wool Museum, to see the the Art Quilt Australia 2015 exhibition. An added bonus was the "Visions of Chieri" exhibition of textile art pieces from Italy.

This is a tiny part of a work by Judy Hooworth, Rainy Day Dora Creek #11 which I thought was the best use of variegated quilting thread ever:
The alternating light and dark thread evoked falling raindrops brilliantly.

The museum's carpet loom wasn't operating while I was there:
But I did see someone buying a long panel of the carpet in the gift shop.

The thing that made me smile the most on my walk was seeing a Muslim woman taking her little girl to see a shopping-centre Santa.

I visited two quilt shops, (where I may or may not have purchased small amounts of fabric), and also found a Handi Quilter dealer who are probably the closet to me now. And there I couldn't resist this reindeer decoration made on an embroidery machine:
He'll be going on my tree this year.

I was tired when I got home, and my feet were hurting, so I didn't go out on the nightly walk with the dogs. Look what they saw when I wasn't there:
Four kangaroos!

Thursday, November 26, 2015


This is the same koala as last Thursday, but in a different tree. And this time I spotted him before it was too dark.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Wild Visitors

Just after I wrote yesterday's post, we discovered something exciting but couldn't get a good photo of it until today:

 OK, maybe still not a great photo. But those are the footprints (and tail print?) of something which hopped
 across the grass(?) in front of our house. In the photo above, you can see where it first landed, and its second and third hop.  Then it seems to have realised there might be something to eat here, and it stopped and rested on all fours in a few places:
 You can see an imprint of its two small front paws and two long back feet just below halfway down on the left of the photo above. Some time yesterday either a wallaby or a kangaroo came within a few metres of our house!

And then this morning, as I sat at the table, a crimson rosella came for a drink at the birdbath just a couple of metres from me.
I picked up my camera very carefully, so as not to startle the bird, and clicked without looking in the viewfinder (had to do it without moving my head). So it's not straight, it's not in focus, but it does show a crimson rosella in the birdbath!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Now Showing

This afternoon I popped in to M.A.D.E. (Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka) to check out the "Songs of Freedom" quilt challenge exhibition:
The challenge entries are displayed in the Saltbush Kitchen cafe:
It was fascinating to see how other people interpreted the theme, and the different approaches they took.
It's an interesting exhibition, worth a look if you are in the area.

The other big event today was this:
Finally, a working NBN connection at my Ballarat unit. It was actually installed last week, but today the electrician came and installed this powerpoint for me so that I could plug in The Internet. It is the slowest connection available, but feels super-fast compared with what I'm using at the house - I may even be able to watch YouTube videos again!